I've always been a little behind the technological curve. Not because I'm stupid (at least I don't think I am) but because I chose to be that way. Don't get me wrong, I don't think we should be reading by candle light or traveling on horseback. I just thought that some advances were more just a way to get my money than to provide any real benefit.
Boy have I been wrong! I resisted getting a cell phone for a long time. Connie got one and it didn't take me long to see that they are indeed very beneficial. I bought one and we soon realized that we didn't need the house phone because everyone called us on the cells. Sorry if that put any telemarketers out of work.
Then the rage became cell phones that took pictures. Next was text messaging. I swore all I needed was a phone, that I would use my camera for pictures and if I wanted to correspond with someone I would simply call them.
Of course it soon became impossible to upgrade your phone without those capabilities. Last fall my phone died and I was about to buy a new one, as cheap a one as I could get. Connie convinced me that I really should get with it and buy a smart phone. I ended up with an iPhone.
Last Friday I took an unexpected swim. I took my wallet and iPhone into the water with me. The wallet and it's contents dried out nicely. The iPhone not so well. I guess I should have downloaded a waterproofing app. Anyway I spent four days without my iPhone.
It was a nightmare. Not only did I have to rely on Connie for communication with the outside world my whole life was in turmoil. A trip to the store was traumatic, I had to take a paper list! Where is my weather forecast and radar? What am I supposed to do today? I don't have my notes to remind me. As far as that goes, what day is it? My calendar is gone. How am I going to update my neighbor George on the progress of his new bulkhead construction? How am I going to text him and send a picture? God help me if I have to go out of town without my trusty GPS & Traffic to guide me. What if Rick in Cowichan Bay, B.C. posts another tutorial? I'll be left behind again. What is Al in Bayfield ranting about today? Where can I see his beautiful pictures? Where are the Warners? How is John's back doing? What is Bridgett cooking for him? Is that sock puppet helping? Are Speedy & Sheri in Texas or Louisiana this week? How am I going to keep up with all the other blogging folks I follow?
It was four days of pure hell. I received my new iPhone on Tuesday and thanks to my technologically savy wife was able to get it activated. Life is now back to normal. I may even be able to get this one working correctly so I can post comments on other blogs during the week. I'm not ahead of the curve yet but I'm climbing it.
I've been fighting off the "blue funk" as described by fellow blogger Mike at http://freedom2roll.blogspot.com/ in his post today. Yesterday Tod & Trish (our part time neighbors across the canal) came down. We didn't expect them so it was a pleasant surprise. Just what the doctor ordered for my doldrums. We went for a cruise in their boat. Tod took his time and we had a very relaxing afternoon on the water. We went down the Intercoastal Waterway into Galveston and back before ending up at an area outside of Jamaica Beach where the sandy bottom and relatively shallow water make a great spot to get out of the boat and cool off. We have named it Griffin Beach after them because they were the ones who turned us on to it a few years ago. I took a few pictures of one of my favorites coastal birds, the pelican.
I love watching them glide through the air and then fall like a rock into the water after a fish.
Landing gear down.
They seem so graceful until they land then it is always with a big splash.
This is a nesting area on the spoil bank between the bay and the intercoastal.
We got back home around six o'clock. I grilled some burgers while Connie made fries and coleslaw. After eating we sat around talking and listening to music. That led to a lot of singing along. Not by me, I couldn't carry a tune in a bucket but Connie, Tod and Trish did a fine job. They went home about ten thirty and we hit the sack shortly afterwards. Thanks guys for a great day.
Sam was probably thinking "Are they ever going to stop singing so we can go to bed?"
I better go now I think I have something to do. Guess I'll check the iPhone to figure out what.
Adios for now, enjoy the day.
--Rod
I found out the hard way that water is death to a cell phone, I didn't go swimming, but I had mine in the plastic clip they charge you extra for to put on your belt and while I was unloading luggage from the bus in a pouring rain it got wet, No display and even after drying it for sveral days and using a hair dryer on the low setting to get the condensation out of the glass, I still had no main display. I also found out that water damage is not covered by any of the insurance, I guess you could lie and say you lost it, and you would get a new phone , but I was honest and took it to the Verizon Store and they said no, It would cost $200 dollars for a new one and they might be able to salvage all my information saved if the simm card was still good. I waited a couple weeks till I was on a trip in Pa. and then went to a different Verizon store and showed him the phone and told him my story of woe, and the manager said tell you what I'll replace it for $40 dollars, the simm was good and I now have a slightly newer model with all my old information in it, Hope you had better luck than me. Be safe out there. Sam & Donna.
ReplyDeleteIt's always interesting to hear about different ways cellphones get into water. My daughter dropped hers into a pot of boiling spaghetti!! Bye, bye!!
ReplyDeleteI'd hate to lose mine now, I'd be just like you described - helpless!
Nice pics of the pelicans too!!
We do depend on these things for almost everything now, although I still cherish my trips to the mountains. No Cellphones or even better (worse) any internet at all.
ReplyDeleteYep, that blue funk is mean stuff!! So glad it was short-lived. :-)
ReplyDeleteIt is amazing how technology begins to become part of our lives and when its not there we go crazy. I felt that way when my laptop went out...I was kinda crazy without it. I don't like to share either. We haven't gone to the way of the smart phone yet. Our son works for Verizon and has the Droid X....gotta say I'm impressed. Maybe one day soon...maybe!!
Take care!!
Mike & Gerri (happytrails)
I just got a new cell phone..and you get what you pay for...I paid $19.99...I rest my case..I HATE it!! But, I am noted for being a little, shall we say, tight...hmmm...frugal....OK..CHEAP!! As far as technology goes..I am waaaay behind the 8-ball...
ReplyDeleteI love those pelicans..and the way you explained their slow assault into the water...like an airplane...great blog..