Saturday, May 29, 2010

The Start of the Long Weekend

Well the Memorial Day weekend is of to a rousing start here in Galveston.  Connie and I met up at the grocery store about 2:30 yesterday afternoon to stock up for the weekend.  The store was busy and the beaches were already getting packed. 

After arriving at home we put the groceries away and then I replaced the pump in Connie's garden fountain.  It quit a couple of days ago.  The new pump is stronger than the old one and wide open it shot water two feet in the air.  I dialed it back so now the water rises about four inches above the urn and as it falls back it makes a sound almost like a babbling brook.  It's quite pleasant to listen to while sitting in the courtyard.

Tod came over to have a beer before going surf fishing.  He had arrived in Galveston about noon and while driving along the seawall he noticed a lot of bait in the water.  After unpacking he headed to the surf and caught two specs in no time.  He came home for a break and was just getting ready to go back when he noticed us outside.

We chatted for a while and he invited us to come over on Saturday (today).  They always have a lot of company on holiday weekends.  We will probably go over later this afternoon.

After he left we walked across the street to meet what we thought were our new neighbors.  As it turned out one of the two guys was the owner.  He inherited the house when his dad passed away last year.  His father built the house on weekends over the course of many years.  Nobody has ever lived in it.  It has been for sale for two years but no offers.  I think it is because the bulkhead needs to be replaced and there isn't a boathouse.  Justin is planning on renting it out and actually has someone interested.  He said it was a single lady in her 40s which would be good for us.  Weekend renters are usually partiers and don't have much consideration for the people who actually live here.  Justin's friend Colby was a year ahead of Jackie when we lived in Sugar Land and he remembered her very well.  It seems he had a crush on her when they were in junior high.  Small world.  We talked to them for an hour or so before heading back home.

Now that's a tired artist! Chase about 9 years ago.

This morning Sam and I went to city hall to pick up my stack of building permits which I have to review before Tuesday.  It was only about 10:30 but the convenience stores and beach were already packed.  Traffic on the highway was very heavy. 

When we got back home I watered all the plants and did a few small chores that need to be done outside.  When that was finished I washed the boat.  Connie has been busy cleaning the house.  I think we both hear a nap calling before we go to Tod & Trish's party.  George called me and said they would be down early this evening so I have a feeling between Tod and Trish and George and Teresa we may have a late night.  All the more reason for those naps.

Have a safe and happy weekend everyone.

Adios for now, enjoy the day.
--Rod

1 comment:

Thanks for reading today and taking the time to leave us a message!