My birthday is this coming Wednesday May 5th. That's what all the Mexicans this side of the border are really celebrating on Cinco de Mayo. My lovely wife surprised me with an early gift, a Kindle. For those of you who don't know (Mom) it's an electronic book. They are very cool. You can load up to 1000 books on the model I now have. It's very light weight and is about the size of a paperback but much thinner. You simply browse Amazon.com for the book you want, buy it and within a minute it has been downloaded to your Kindle. They aren't like computer screens and the text size is adjustable so they are easy on the eyes and you don't have to wear your glasses. I have been thinking about buying one for a long time but it always seemed like a lot of cash to spend on a frivolous pastime. I talked with Connie & Tracy (gypsygmas.blogspot.com) last week about theirs. They both have one and love them. That pretty much sealed the deal for me but I still hated to spend the money on myself. My sweetheart knew my dilemma and ordered me one for my birthday.
The kids came down to help me celebrate on Saturday. Megan has a softball tournament next weekend so Connie and Jackie decided to have a get together this weekend. I can't speak for the rest of them but I had a wonderful day. The weather was great, the food was delicious, I was surrounded by my loved ones and I got presents to boot!
The kids each made me a memory box. They decorated their box and put in a letter telling me what they enjoy about being with Papa and how much they love me. Reading the letters made me cry, much to everyone's enjoyment. I couldn't help it. Those gifts mean more to me than I can ever explain. I've kept the cards and little things they have given me over the years and now I have a place to keep them.
Is Megan going to garrote me?
I must read slow, Chase had to have a snack while I read his.
Connie and I sat in the courtyard talking with Jackie and Dana while the kids played. They wanted to go for a boat ride and for the first time in 8 years the boat let me down. It would not start. I felt terrible for disappointing them but there was nothing I could do. I'll call my boat mechanic tomorrow so it won't happen again.
Dana with his boss and his boss's boss.
Megan trying out Nana's new hammock.
Chase standing next to the "Emma Too". My pet name for Connie is Emma. I'll explain someday in another blog post.I did get a clean windshield though.
Chase, I would never say anything about a haircut (unlike some other people) because I did the same thing with mine when the Beatles were just starting to be popular..... but Dude!
I've had bigger birthday celebrations but I've never had a better one than this. Thank you Connie, Jackie, Dana, Chase and Megan you've made this old fart very happy.
Adios for now, enjoy the day.
--Rod
Rod ~
ReplyDeleteHappy birthday a few days early! I'm glad to hear you got a kindle...you'll love it! And it's the perfect gadget for full-timing. But what's with the hammock?? You're supposed to be getting rid of 'stuff', not accumulating!! :) Hopefully it will pack up so you can take it with you.
Have a great Cinco de Mayo and a most wonderful birthday.
All the best ~
Connie, Tracy and your buddy Hunter
Happy Birthday, Rod even though I'm a few days early. Great pics on your blog today of your family and friends - nice to see. You'll love the Kindle! I have the Sony version of the eBook and I just love it.
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday Rod! Sounds like you had a great birthday this year - Love you much!
ReplyDeleteMiss all of you. Would love to see all of you this year, but time and money won't allow it. Maybe next year during your travel time I can meet up with you somewhere. Have a great day on Wednesday :)
Love,
Gale
Happy Birthday Rod, what a great way to celebrate, your pictures were great nothing like having family with you on your special day.Be safe out there, Sam & Donna.
ReplyDelete