The only problem with that plan is that I don’t really have anything interesting to write about.
We did take Chuck & Mary Ann to the Red Snapper Inn last Saturday night. Connie & Mary Ann both had snapper pontchartrain and Chuck had a stuffed flounder. They all said it was great. I had shrimp sautéed in garlic and mushrooms and served on rice pilaf. The rice was bland and the shrimp was old so I wasn’t very pleased. The service was good and the prices weren’t too bad. The company was good so I think I’ll go again in spite of my meal.
Sunday was a little cold and breezy so we just hung out at the house. We were supposed to have Chase & Megan while Jackie & Dana took Dana’s brother out to dinner but I guess they decided to do it another time. We were looking forward to spending a little time with the kids but I guess we’ll just have to wait.
The weather this week has been rainy and cool with a little wind thrown in to make it just a tad bit more miserable. I can’t wait for it to warm up.
I can"t wait to get back to this
Mardi Gras starts this weekend. It’s a good time and if the weather clears a little the crowds will be big. I think they usually draw around 300,000 on each of the 2 weekends.
Chase & Megan rode in the Fireman's Parade last year dressed as pirates
I don’t think we are going to any of the parades this weekend but as usual all my plans are subject to revision by my Social Director. We used to belong to the Krewe de la Palapa. The krewe was based out of the Captain’s Table restaurant and we had all of our meetings there. The owners gave us a break on the food and drinks as well as helping out with expenses for the float. Hurricane Ike wiped out the Captain’s Table and all that is left is a vacant lot with a for sale sign. Makes me sad when I drive by it. We have a lot of good memories of that place as it was our hang out for about 15 years.
There were about 36 members of the krewe. Starting in December we would meet at the leader’s house on Saturdays and build the float. It was usually the same 10 or so people doing all the work every year. The rest just showed up for the party and to ride in the parade. I think it’s like that in most organizations. We were in the Fat Tuesday parade. Fat Tuesday is the last day of Mardi Gras and Lent starts the next day on Ash Wednesday. We decided to resign a couple of years ago and I must admit I do miss it a little.
We usually would move the float to the Seawall on the first weekend to use as a viewing platform for the parades and to cook on. The framework was complete but not the final decorations. Note the porta-can, that is a must have item on floats. We always incorporated ours into the decorations.
None of you came to get the TV so the trash guys got it. I was glad to see it gone when I got home Monday night. It was so heavy I wasn’t sure they were going to take it.
Boy is our yard a mess. The freeze turned everything brown except the weeds. We’ll have to wait about another month to find out how much landscaping we lost. The weeds are thriving. I pulled a 2’ dandelion the other day. It was growing right next to our stairs and bugging me every time I went up or down. It’s going to take a lot of work to get everything back in shape when the weather breaks but it won’t be near as bad as after Ike.
I decided to get Connie an iPhone for valentines day. Romantic aint I? Anyway, I ordered it the other day. I never gave a thought to the fact that they would send a confirmation email. She saw it first and got all upset at AT&T because she thought they were charging her for a phone she had looked at online but hadn't ordered. I had to tell her that I did order it and blew any chance at a surprise.
Adios for now, enjoy the day.
--Rod



Rod, too bad about the Captain's Table getting blown away as it sounds like everyone had a good time there. Connie will love the iPhone!! I have the iTouch and it's just great!
ReplyDelete