Sunday, February 28, 2010

Girls softball and the redone kitchen.

I had started a little side business a few years ago doing permit plans for remodeling jobs. I have always enjoyed architectural drawing but don’t get many reasons to do that kind of drawing working in the civil engineering field. When my son-in-law started building houses he got me designing a few homes for his clients.

I thought that I would be swamped after Hurricane Ike but as it turned out the opposite was true. It was probably just as well because I had enough to do in my spare time getting our stuff back to normal. Now that things have settled a little I’ve been getting calls for drawings again. One contractor whom I have done several projects for in the past called me a couple of weeks ago for a preliminary floorplan for a new home. It’s a small weekend house to replace one that got Iked on Offats Bayou. He gave me the go ahead to start work on the design drawings last week so that’s how I spent Sunday. Connie did some things around the house and relaxed.

The rest of the week was uneventful for me but Connie did get called for a job interview. She hasn’t really been looking to switch jobs but the management where she is leaves a lot to be desired. Last November she got wind of an executive director position for a national non-profit so she sent her resume in. She went on the interview Friday and thought it went well. We’ll see what happens but she may have to make a decision soon. It may not be a wise idea to switch jobs knowing that our goal is to retire in June of 2011 but you never know what the future will bring and if she can better her situation she might as well go ahead.

Yesterday we went to one of Megan’s softball games. We didn’t tell her we were coming so she was quite surprised and happy to see us. It was opening day for her league and if the 20 to 0 trouncing her team put on the other team is any indication it should be a good season. I took a lot of pictures and here are a few…

Talk from the coaches before hitting the field



 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


Running to her position for her first time this season. Love that ponytail flying.
Taking warm up swings while on deck.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

That's a major league stance if I've ever seen one.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


  First hit of the year a hard grounder towards the left side.
Everything is flying towards 1st base.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Taking off to steal 2nd. The batter hit so no stolen base.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Is that coach doing some weird ballet move?
After the game we went to eat Mexican food with Dana, Jackie and the kids. Chase brought a friend along. All of us had a normal Tex-Mex meal and it was pretty good food. I had to laugh because Chase’s buddy ordered a grilled flounder dinner that was about twice as expensive as anything else. I don’t think Dana was too pleased but he didn’t say anything.

After eating we followed them back to their house to see how the redo project came out. I guess it’s finished with the exception of waiting for glass shelves and door for one of the cabinets. Here are some pics…
The new island with seating for the kids. Check out the edging on the granite.

The wine rack and refrigerator enclosue are new. Wine rack holds 28 bottles. The cabinets are refinished they used to be plain run of the mill oak cabinets. The one on the upper left is awaiting glass shelves and door fronts. They have ordered a new fridge, gas cooktop, microwave and wall oven (out of the pic on the right).
The  fireplace mantel. It replaces a little shelf that used to be there. Dana also had surround sound installed and it is awesome. We watched a portion of a movie involving a high speed ride in a performance Mustang and it felt like you were sitting in the passenger seat.
Abby's new built-in doghouse in the laundry room.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 





The new fence and gate between the house and garage. I guess you will have to know the password to get in to the pool parties this year.










Chase and his buddy James cleaning the pool. It's going to have to get a lot warmer before I get in that water. Their landscaping really took a hit from all the cold weather this winter but I'm sure it will look like a tropical oasis again real soon.
 
 
 
 
  
Well I've got to get to work so adios for now, enjoy the day.
--Rod

1 comment:

  1. Good luck on the interview. The design looks great on the kitchen. Nice photos. Love the softball pictures.

    I think we are nearby--how far is Jamaica Island from 8 Mile Road? Maybe we can get together?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading today and taking the time to leave us a message!