Sunday, October 3, 2010

We Quit!!!!!!!

The last couple of weeks have been fairly dull around here. Not much to write about. We have had a couple of mild cold fronts blow through so the temps and humidity have dropped some. The best part of the year is upon us.

The travel trailer is still at the dealership. I called last week and they assured me that the parts had been ordered. I don't have much faith in them as past experience has shown them to be disorganized at best and down right incompetent at worst.

I can't say enough good things about my experience with my insurance company Geico. Filing the claim was easy and painless. The next work day I received a confirmation email with a name and phone number to call for any questions or problems regarding the claim. A day later I received a call from the adjuster. He asked me to describe what happened and told me he would be looking at the trailer within 24 hours.

Sure enough, the following day he called and said that he had inspected the trailer. The estimate ended up being $2779.00. He said a check would be mailed to the dealer made out to both of us. I was surprised to find out that the tire was not included in the estimate.

I am now researching tires. We will be needing four because I don't want to go through this again.

The tire incident set off one of those weeks where everything seemed to go wrong. During that seven day period the hot water heater went out at the house. I laundered my nitro pills and had to get a new prescription filled. I promptly forgot that they were in my pocket and washed the new ones less than 24 hours after picking them up. The battery in my truck gave up the ghost. I broke the weed eater and finally, the tire on my wheelborrow rotted out and blew.

Thankfully last week was incident free.

Thursday at 1:00 I received a call from a friend who was fishing with his wife. They had been using two live wells all morning and had run the batteries in the boat dead. The bay is pretty deserted during the week so I took the afternoon off. I loaded some tools, battery cables, drinks and Sam into the boat. Billy had told me about where they were located and it was pretty easy to find them (not like a few years ago when Sean and I had to find George and Teresa at night, in a thick fog). They were happy to see us. It's not a good feeling to be sitting in a boat that won't start. We got them running in short order and returned home. It was a beautiful day and Sam and I enjoyed our boat ride.

Connie and I have quit smoking.......... Again. We are experts at quitting it's the staying quit that is difficult. Hopefully this time it will stick. I have been smoking for 47 years with a few 3 or 4 month quitting periods mixed in. Connie has probably smoked for over 30 years off and on.

The physical withdrawal symptoms will go away in a week or so. For me the problem is that I really enjoy smoking. It has been a part of everything I do. That is the hurdle I've got to overcome. I'm not going to say I will be successful this time because history has shown that is improbable. I am going to give it my best.

To say things are a little "edgy" around the house right now is an understatement. We are both ready to bite some one's head off. We love each other and will drag each other through this but "it ain't goin ta be pretty".

The kids have invited us to their house for football and fajitas this afternoon. That will help us get through today. Tomorrow is a work day so if anyone I work with is reading this be forewarned..... I won't be in a good mood.

Here's a couple of pics from Connie's garden...





Adios for now, enjoy the day.
--Rod

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on quitting. Who knows, maybe this will be the time! You've taken the first step and now that you've published it, you can't go back! Hang in there! I have never been a smoker but have known many people who have struggled with it and I know it's not easy. But we're pulling for you!!

    Hope your trailer gets fixed soon so you can get back out to what you love to do! And as far as all of the other things that went wrong that week...just look at it this way - you got them all out of the way in one fell swoop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on trying again, having never smoked I don't know what it's like, but Donna has smoked all her life and even after her heart incident when the Doctor told her is was imperative to quit, she has tried a couple times unsuccessfully,tried the patch, the fake electronic cigarette, hypnosis,just like a big money hole all you do is keep spending and no results. Hope you lick it for good, Be safe out there. Sam & Donna.

    ReplyDelete
  3. congrats on quitting smoking..good for you..hope your week is better this time around!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YEA!!!!! QUITTING ANY ADDICTION IS VERY TOUGH..AS THEY SAY,,,JUST ONE DAY AT A TIME...HANG IN THERE!! IT SEEMS YOU HAVE HAD A HELL OF A WEEK, ALL BAD THINGS...BUT THE ONE GOOD THING IS QUITTING THE SMOKES!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading today and taking the time to leave us a message!