Sunday, October 31, 2010

Happy Birthday Dad

Today was my father's birthday. Even though he's been gone since 1991 I think of him each day.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAD, I MISS YOU.

I've been working in the field all week. We're resurfacing a section of Seawall Boulevard in Galveston. The contractor is really doing a good job and is very organized so the project is moving at the speed of light compared to other paving projects we've done. The actual paving should be finished tomorrow. After that is complete we have to install new curb ramps, traffic loop detectors and pavement markings.

It has been nice to be outside all day. The weather has been beautiful and I hope it stays that way for a few more weeks. If it can hang on through Thanksgiving it would be great. Connie, Sam and I are going camping at Martin Dies Jr. State Park that whole week. Connie will make a complete Thanksgiving dinner and I will eat until I can't anymore. It's one of my favorite meals of the year. Eating outside with a campfire nearby makes it even better.

I grilled hamburgs last night and about 20 minutes after we ate Connie was violently throwing up. I thought maybe it was food poisoning but I have had no ill effects and we ate the same thing. She had a restless night and is currently resting on the couch. Now she has a fever and body aches so I think it's the flu. I got my shot about a month ago and she got one two weeks ago tomorrow. Hopefully the doctors are right and she has a short lived case.

The other day I went to the local Social Security office on a fact finding mission. I knew that my benefits would be reduced if I retire at age 62 in June but I am also subject to another penalty. Galveston County was able to opt out of SS in 1979. They set up their own system which provides a much better return on your money.

I started work for the County in 1994 and have been a member of their system the whole time. I also have 27 years full time in the SS system. Part of the federal government's requirements for allowing the County to opt out was a Windfall Elimination Provision. How the hell is it a windfall to collect the full amount of a system that you contributed to for 27 years? They will take $686 a month from my SS check simply because I have another retirement account. That isn't going to make or break us but it will make our retirement budget quite a bit tighter than I expected. Am I pissed off? You bet I am, that is my money they are taking.

My mother and her husband had some bad news this past week. Bob has been diagnosed with "moderate" Alzheimer's Disease. We knew that but this week his doctor took away his driving privileges. He told Bob it was only for 90 days at which time he will be re-evaluated. Everyone knows he isn't going to get better. I think this was a way for the doc to break it to Bob gently.

I feel bad for Bob. He's always driven and in fact until last Tuesday would not ride with anyone. One of his favorite things has always been long Sunday afternoon drives. He and I haven't had the closest of relationships but it still makes me sad to think of him confined and dependant on others. I know it is for the best to take him off the road before he hurts himself or someone else. Mom can drive around the area they live in but any out-of-town trips to see my sister or aunts will probably have to be put off until someone else drives them.

I just read what I have written so far and it's pretty damn depressing so I'm going to close with a few pictures of  the Jamaica Beach boat parade a couple of years ago. Chase and Megan dressed as Mr. & Mrs. Santa Claus.






Looking at these pictures gets me to thinking that maybe we'll do it again this year if the kids want to.
Adios for now, enjoy the day.
--Rod

7 comments:

  1. Doesn't it always seem the government finds a way to benefit themselves rather than the taxpayers.

    I just ran across your blog today and plan to read more as I have time. We began fulltiming in May so it appears we are about a year ahead of you guys.

    I think I've seen some of your posts on the RV Dreams forum. I began a blog in February to chronicle our journey. If you're interested you can find us at
    http://rvkhroniclesofkevelyn.blogspot.com/

    I lost my dad 4 years ago and miss him, too. Best of luck to Bob and family in regards to the Alzheimers. My grandmother had it, but I hear they have better treatments now. I hope he does well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, if you got it, they will find a way to take it.

    Sorry about your Step father.

    The kids are adorable.

    Hope Connie gets over her flu quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hang in there!!..hope Connie feels better soon!...we all have bad days and sometimes it just feels right to 'vent'!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I took my SS at 62 because my BIL who is an actuary says the odds are against you to live past 80 which is the break even point, I too get my police pension but here in MO we are not penalized and I get my full 62 benefits. Like you said you worked for it. Sounds like a state law that needs to be repealed. Be safe out there. Sam & Donna.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The pictures remind me of the annual boat parade at Christmas time in Annapolis, MD. Of course, there is the small matter of temperature difference. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have tried and tried to add your blog to my list and I can't get the url to take. Can you give me any help on this? Thanks, Pidge

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading today and taking the time to leave us a message!