Monday, April 26, 2010

Old Friends and New

We had a busy week last week (at least for us).

We worked Monday and Tuesday but that was the end of "normal" until today.

Connie and I have both been members of a boating/fishing internet forum for about ten years. Connie is one of the moderators. I don't know why she does it, it is all headaches with no pay or benefits but that is her choice.

A few months ago one of the members who also has been a member for a long time contacted Connie to let her know he and his wife would be coming to Galveston for a vacation in April. They live in Pennsylvania. She helped them find a condo to rent and helped them with points of interest and things to see in the area. They wanted to meet us so Connie invited them for a fishing trip. I think she was so generous because I haven't taken her in so long and she figured this would get me back into it. I have just had tunnel vision since Ike. All I want to do is get the house completed and sold so we can head off into retirement. She was right. I now realize that things will get done when they get done and we need to spend some time doing the things we love about living here.

Art called when they hit town on Saturday and Wednesday was the agreed upon day for the fishing trip. Connie and I spent the morning getting things ready. I discovered I had a dead battery in the boat but the second battery was fine. I just had to make sure the bait well and everything else was turned off when we stopped to fish. That wouldn't work in the hotter months but the water is still cold enough that the bait won't die if the pump is shut off for a while.

Art and his wife Tammi arrived at noon. We spent a little while getting to know them better then we all got in the boat and headed out to the bay. We fished several spots but the fish were not cooperating. We did catch some gafftops and one nice sized black drum but no trout or redfish. We fished all afternoon and Connie and I learned about their missionary work in Ghana, Africa. We returned to the house about six.

I unloaded the boat and put things away while Connie, Art and Tammi chatted in the courtyard. Everyone was getting hungry so I set up my big boiling pot and cooked shrimp, sausage, potatoes and sweet corn. We spent the rest of the evening talking and they left about 11:00. I did manage to get Art hooked up with a small speckled trout from our fishing light before they left so he at least got to catch one.

Thursday brought some friends we had met at the RV Dreamers rally in Kerrville last October. Connie and Tracy are a neat couple we really enjoy visiting with. They had just arrived in Texas a few days earlier. In October, like us, they were exploring the idea of becoming full time rvers. They went home, purged their belongings, sold their home, bought an F450 and a large, beautiful fifth wheel RV in less than 6 months. They came to Texas to set up their residency and mail forwarding. They had a similar plan to ours but are making us look silly as far as implementing it.

They arrived about one o'clock with their dog Hunter. Now I want to tell you Hunter is one of the coolest dogs I have ever met. He is a rescue Greyhound and has the nicest laid back personality. Sam and he got along well and I was glad to see that. Sam can sometimes be a little over protective.

We spent the afternoon in our courtyard talking and learning all we could about their transition from sticks and bricks to RV living. They had finished all their necessary paper work and were only waiting to take drivers tests with their rig. I think they were both a little nervous and anxious about it. Neither one of them had any prior experience driving something the size they now cruise around in. When they pass their tests they will be heading towards northern California where they have work camping jobs set to start in a couple of weeks.

My Connie cooked a nice fish taco dinner and about seven o'clock we said our goodbyes. They had a little over two hours to drive back to their campsite north of Houston. As they drove away I felt sad. Great new friends we had just met were leaving and I don't know when we will see them again. It's funny how sometimes you meet people and just know you want to be friends forever. We wish them all the best in their travels and hopefully we will see them again on the road. Thankfully we will be able to keep in touch through the internet.

We both went back to work on Friday. When we returned home at the end of the day our friends and neighbors George and Teresa were at their house. They live in Houston and don't come down all winter but are here frequently for the weekends all summer. We always enjoy being with them and the craziness never stops when they are here. Friday night turned out to be one of those times. Connie had to work on Saturday and kept trying to escape but wasn't able to. Our friend Sean Welsh came over from Spanish Grant and he, George and I swapped stories and BS until very late. I don't know when the girls gave up and went to bed but the three of us held out a long time.

Saturday I smoked a pork shoulder and the craziness started all over again. Connie and I went to bed at midnight. We slept in on Sunday but once again spent the day with George and Teresa. Our other weekend nieghbors Chuck and Mary Ann joined in for awhile. They left about five and George and Teresa left at nine.

It was great to meet Art and Tammi and to spend some time with Connie and Tracy. We've known George and Tersesa a long time and enjoy when they come down. All in all it was a wonderful friend week.

Adios for now, enjoy the day.
--Rod

1 comment:

  1. Rod~I think you're a pretty cool dude too. Give my 'woofs' to Sam...;)

    ~Hunter

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading today and taking the time to leave us a message!