Sunday, March 28, 2010

Finally Back

After two frustrating weeks we are finally back online. We don't have all the problems worked out with the computer yet but we're working on it.

Thursday night I finished the house plans I've been working on and yesterday got to do my favorite part, the invoice. The contractor complimented me on the plans and that was nice to hear. I'm meeting with a landscape architect on Tuesday to get started on plans for a parking lot and walking trail in Brazoria County. Not as much fun as home design but the money will come in handy for the remaining remodeling we are doing prior to selling the house.

A lot of people are asking why we are spending money on the house only to turn around and sell it. Really it's a twofold answer. First we have to do some updating in order to get the most out of the resale and to hopefully sell it faster. Secondly we had a vision for the house before we decided to retire early and we want to see that completed even if it's for someone else to enjoy.

On March 12th we went on spring break with Jackie, Dana and the kids. They had rented a lake house on Richland Chambers lake which is about 90 miles southeast of Dallas.

Connie, Sam and I arrived there first. It is a great house on four wooded acres in a secluded cove. Just the kind of place we love. It reminded Connie of where her mom lives in Spruce Lake, NY. She spent a good part of her childhod at that place and this place brought back a flood of memories.
This was the front of the house after driving in a long driveway through the woods.

The view from the back patio.

Connie couldn't wait to relax on the dock.


The kids arrived a little later and we all got unpacked and settled in for what was to be a really relaxing few days of enjoying each others company.

Chase, Dana and I went in to town on Saturday to pick up a few forgotten items at the grocery store. On the way back Dana was navigating with the iPhone gps for me. He told me to turn right and I thought he was reading the screen upside down so I turned left. Needless to say we ended up lost and on a dirt track thru some pasture land. I think Chase was a getting a little worried in the back seat as we progressed from bad road to worse to a track with grass growing between the tire ruts. Having already screwed up from a lack of faith in my son-in-laws ability to read the gps I kept going where he directed me to. We eventually made it back to the house. We only traveled 75 miles round trip to go to a store 12 miles away. It was fun just the same.

Jackie looks upset about something but Megan thought it was hilarious.



The house came equipped with a canoe, a kayak and a paddle boat. The kids took full advantage of that, especially Capt. Chase. I don't know where they get the energy to go all day but I sure wish they sold it somewhere.


Chase and Dana went for several paddles together
Connie took this shot of the side yard

Sam wore hinself out running btween the house and the dock with everyone. He also decided he really liked lake swimming. Whenever anyone took one of the boats out he tried to swim along.

Megan and her mom working on something

The whole family enjoyed the boats

Sunday was Megan's 8th birthday. She opened her gifts in the morning. Nana and Papa got her a charm bracelet and a couple of charms because she always asks for "memories". Mom and Dad got her clothes and some special doll called an "American Girl". It's supposed to look like the owner and is way too costly in my opinion. Just a way to over charge dreamed up by some toy company exec. Chase bought her a charm for her new bracelet but sent her on a treasure hunt around the property with clues leading her to where he had hidden it.
Megan and her new doll

She finally found her gift from Chase

Mom and Dad also gave her a girls makeover kit. Little did I know that I was soon to be madeover. After the gift opening Chase and Dana went golfing. They asked me to go but I haven't golfed since the 70's and I figured it would be good father-son quality time so I declined. I figured I would do a little reading and relax while they were gone. Megan had other plans for me. I got my first ever oatmeal/maple syrup facial.

The girls were all laughing histerically and I must admit it was fun doing something like that with my granddaughter. Later I asked her if she thought it worked and she replied that I looked like I was "in my forties". That may be debatable but I got a chuckle out of it.

The rest of the time was spent relaxing, fishing, canoeing playing ladderball and sitting around the campfire at night.

Sam was always watching the kids when they were in the boats.
Ladderball Champ


The princess with her wine and her faithful servant


Megan signing the guest book on our last night

I want to end this post by wishing my beautiful wife Connie a Happy Birthday. She's 21+ today and is still as special to me as she was when we met.

Adios for now, enjoy the day.
--Rod 

2 comments:

  1. Good times that last a lifetime!

    Stay Safe

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm finally catching up with a few blogs. Happy belated birthday Connie! Sounds like you guys had a great time on vacation. Looks like a beautiful spot. Hope you're both doing well!
    -Connie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading today and taking the time to leave us a message!