Wednesday, March 23, 2011

We're being invaded...

The house has been on the market for a little over a week. Not only are Rod and I plumb wore out from preparing the house, we've been invaded with realtors and clients, which is a good thing.

Yesterday was open house for area realtors. We are getting really good feedback and keeping our fingers and toes crossed that this whole process is over soon.

I guess I never anticipated leaving my house everytime someone wanted to show it. Friends of ours have allowed us to go over to their house which is just across the canal to wait out the showings. It's a little unerving watching people look over your property inch by inch. It's also interesting to come back into the house and see little things that indicate where they look. One of the things is a metal cannister next to my stove that reads "Boat Fund", I keep kosher salt in it. I've found the lid adjar a couple of times. I bet they were disappointed. LOL They also love my pot filler over the stove. I'm waiting to come back to a mess one of these days from someone opening the tap without a pot under it.

On one ocassion, a realtor came without an appointment. She pulled in the driveway with clients right behind her and came charging down the driveway. She said "I called your agent and she said it was okay to show the house". I extended my hand to introduce myself as the homeowner. It was like she had no regard for us or our privacy. However, since it was our first showing, I thought...hmmm this dosent' sound right but we'll show it, then I'll call my agent. Rod and I had just finished mulching the flower beds and were relaxing with a beer. It was about 6:30 last Friday night. They looked at the house, of course the clients asked Rod and I all the questions since the realtor didn't have any more information than they did.

I promptly emailed the realtor and told her we didn't like how this all went down and demand at least 15 minutes notice to show the house. She said she never spoke with this other realtor and was highly upset about it. That all showing have to go through their office. Anyway, we got all that straightened out. Having your property listed at 60 different internet sites through MLS brings in realtors from everywhere. This one wasn't with our listing agency.

This is an unsual process. Your property is on display 24/7 and your privacy is invaded daily. I don't mind the pressure as far as keeping the house ready to show. I get it all done before 9 a.m. each day so I'm ready at any time. I just hope this whole process is over with soon so we can move on to the next phase of our lives.

Take care everyone.

Connie

11 comments:

  1. I's been 38 years since we sold a house...but even then it was a pain in the caboose...Good side is that you have had lots of interest!!! I'm sending some good Karma your way...Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will certainly keep good thoughts coming your way as well. It is an awful process! I saw on HGTV one time that when you are selling your house it no longer truly belongs to you. That is so true. I am so glad to see where you are having lots of interest. That is a great sign and the time of the year is perfect. Lots of Luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The showings will get on your nerves after awhile. You can only hope one fo the early lookers is a buyer :) We had our house shown well over 100 times before it sold and having to leave every time was a real pain.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with the sale, sounds like the traffic you may get a quick sale. I know when we were selling ours it was weeks between showings. See ya on the road.

    Stay Safe

    ReplyDelete
  5. sorry to hear that the 'other realtors are the pain'!..geesh..some people!..we wish you luck and hope it sells quickly!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on getting the house on the market. That, in and of itself, is no easy task. Showings are a pain; it feels like such an invasion. We will cross our fingers that it's over quickly. Just keep your eye on the final prize...retirement!

    ReplyDelete
  7. When we first listed our home it was private showings, then, we listed this way and sold it right away. You may be surprised how fast you will get an offer. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The 'happy side' of all this is a sold home. I had never given much thought to the negative side of selling our home someday. It must be a truly weird sensation having strangers stroll around your home, no matter the reason! As others have stated, it sounds as though interest is high; that indeed is good in these 'down' economic times. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We have our home up for sale in Santa Fe NM. The market is in the toilet - however we are getting some lookers. We have a mandatory 24 hour viewing notification and all notifications must be conveyed to us by our realtor. It's worked well thus far. We are in this for the duration and sell this year or next year - we WILL sooner of later become F/T RV-er's

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading today and taking the time to leave us a message!